Popular Posts

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A life full of Milk

I was excited when the doctor confirmed that I was indeed pregnant! Immediately, I started to think of the
responsibilities to come,  I knew that my life was going to change.

Indeed the change was there,  I walked out of Hospital, carrying my new born baby. As we drove home, I kept asking Ken, If  Iwould make a good mother. Would I be able to be the best I can be, and to give Ethan the very best?

Ethan was born at a time I was getting used to the rigours  career, my typical day would start at 6.30a.m, and end at 9.00p.m, tearing myself away from my desk was the hardest bit. I thank God Ken was very patient. He encouraged me and believed in me.

Imagine my apprehension when the mid-wife told me that I must breast feed exclusively for 6 months!

 It was a tall order. Three days after I left the hospital, determined to be the world's greatest mother, I had engorged breast! they hurt so so much I could not sleep! The milk was licking, I did not know how to use the breast pump, I was a naive mother, waiting for Ethan to wake up to feed.

Thank God for my mummy, she came to help me settle into my new role. She taught me to express milk by using a warm towel and massaging gently. I needed to be patient, this did not seem to work, the more she massaged, the more milk was produced! My nipples were sore. Ethan did not feed much, he loved his sleep!

I was determined to breastfeed exclusively for the first six months of Ethan's life,  no one was going to dissuade me.
One month into my maternity leave, I settled well into the routine, Ethan fed at intervals of 2 hours, and while he slept, I practised on how to use the hand pump.  Every 3 hours, I would express milk, pack it in little freezer bags and tag them: date expressed and time. This was interesting........ I enjoyed it.

Back at work, 3 months later, the pressure did not relent. However, I needed to make time to ensure my baby had enough to feed. I kept sneaking out to express milk and dashing home for lunch to breastfeed. I claimed the ladies changing room and made it my "dairy".
One day, my boss asked me, " Emma, are you well? you seem to have very long breaks"  I did not realise it but I blurted out," I was expressing milk"! The poor man did not ask me again about my breaks.
Night time would catch me snoozing, breastfeeding or expressing milk.

When one of my girl friends came to visit, she was deeply intrigued by the contents in my freezer...neatly labelled packets of breast milk!
Ethan turned six months, in September, I introduced him to solid foods at seven months, at six and a half, he had his first taste of water, so far, he has not tasted any juices. He takes 350ml of breast milk during the day and breastfeeds at night.

So far, he is in robust health- not a single issue; I thank God! I'm so glad I breastfed him exclusively for 6 months, some thought I was over doing it! As for me, I did what I thought was best for Ethan.
Would I do it again? Oh, yes, it was the most rewarding thing I have done in my life so far!. I pushed myself to the limit without realising it!

A life full of Milk!

Much Love,

Emma K!

 




No comments:

Post a Comment